381-8 Old Riverhead Road

Westhampton Beach, NY

Tel. 631-998-0780

Hours: Tues. - Fri. 9am to 5pm / Sat. 10am to 2pm / Sun. - Mon. Closed

Throw it Away! Don’t Burn Your Wrapping Paper


Christmas is only days away, and with it comes family, fun, and festivities. In many homes across America, Christmas also means a fire in the hearth. Gift-giving and merriment are made even better with a crackling fire in the fireplace, and we agree. It’s our goal at Beach Stove and Fireplace to not only make sure your fire is crackling and warm, but also safe. As licensed, certified, and insured chimney sweeps, we offer professional services to keep your chimney safe. Having a professional install, service, repair, and inspect your fire appliances is the best way to stay safe. It’s our job to take care of the chimney. It’s important that homeowners do their part by remembering fireplace safety on the big day. Don’t let a disaster ruin your Christmas.

The Problem with Wrapping Paper

The least popular task after a big get-together is definitely clean-up. If you’re sitting around a fire for your gift exchange, it seems like no big deal to toss the wrapping paper right into the fireplace. Don’t do it. Wrapping paper is made of chemical compounds that color the paper. These compounds commonly contain high levels of toxic metal. When burned, the chemicals react with the paper, causing hazardous gases to be released. It’s best to burn only appropriate fuel in your fireplace and to practice safe habits all winter long. 

  • Only burn firewood in your fireplace.

Light items like pine needles (Christmas tree pieces), leaves, and paper can rise up the flue while aflame. This can lead to flue fires as well as roof and yard fires when flames escape the chimney. The only thing that should go into your fireplace is seasoned firewood. If you have a gas fireplace, you should never burn items in your fireplace. Gas fireplaces are designed to only burn gas. Some gas fireplaces don’t even require a chimney, so burning paper will release smoke and particle pollution directly into your house.

During the merriment of Christmas morning, wrapping paper can get too close to the fireplace and light unintentionally. Be safe by keeping your glass doors or screen closed. Not only will it keep unwanted items out of the fire, but it will prevent children from being burned, and guests from adjusting your fire.

Other Ways to Stay Safe this Christmas

Make sure that your family has a happy and healthy holiday season by having a safe fire.

  • Install carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms throughout your home and check batteries regularly.
  • Discuss fireplace safety with guests and children. Never leave a fire unattended or leave children unattended with a fire.
  • Plan a fire escape with two ways out of your house, and practice it with your family.
  • Use appropriate fireplace tools and accessories designed to assist with fireplace tasks. You should choose a fire poker and shovel with long handles to avoid burns. Avoid leaning over a fire, and keep loose clothing and hair away from open flames.

Your fireplace will be the star of the show in the coming weeks. Don’t hesitate to light your fireplace throughout the festivities. Prevent property loss, injury, and even death by practicing fire safety this season.

By | Tagged with: Tags: , , , | Comments Off on Throw it Away! Don’t Burn Your Wrapping Paper


Our Location

Beach Stove and Fireplace is located on Old Riverhead Road between Montauk Highway and Sunrise Highway. From Sunrise Highway take exit 63 south, travel 1.2 miles and turn right at the 381 complex (just north of Gabreski Airport)